Monday, August 24, 2009

Two posts in one day?! I'm on a roll.

I can already tell, things are going to be rough here (sarcasm). I had my first day of classes today. My first class was going to be an African dance class at the University of Ghana, but apparently it meets twice a week and I can't make the second meeting. So, instead, Holley and I wandered around the University of Ghana, so that she could drop her Russian class. Then, exhausted from the first real exercise (of walking) we have really experienced in the African heat, we decided to hang out and get lunch. Unfortunately, I don't think that the lady serving lunch appreciated my vegetarianism. I ended up eating jollof rice and fried plantains. It wasn't the healthiest lunch, but it was delicious!


Why are all of my entries about food?


Anyways, while we were eating at a table, these three girls sat down and introduced themselves. They were really interested in us, asking what we were studying and where we were from. We couldn't talk long, because we had to get back for the bus, but they asked for our phone numbers and if we had facebook. They laughed and told us that they knew we would, because "All Americans have facebook!" They were surprised that we didn't have twitter. Oh, how accurate their perceptions of us are.


We came back and a few of us got our first dresses, made by Marjorie, a local dress-maker. We had bought fabric at the market on Saturday and showed her the types we wanted. The dresses were cheap and tailored just to fit us. They are beautiful and fantastic and I'm so excited for her! In a few minutes, we're going to her place to get the final dresses, which she made adjustments to, and maybe to place orders for more dresses. I'm going to come home with so many clothes! I promise I'll put up pictures showing them soon!


Later this afternoon I had my second class, called Global Connections: Accra. It's taught by Prof Nat, the guy who gave us the tour earlier this week and is the former mayor of Accra. I love him. I want to be best friends with him. He's just great. Today was a brief overview of the class and syllabus, and we have reading for next week. It's going to be fantastic!


Fun fact of the day: Accra is famous for huge mud ant hills built by fire ants, and the city is thought to be named after "Nkiam" which is the word for ants.

2 comments:

  1. A few things:
    1. I really enjoy your entries about food...because really, why else study abroad?
    2. I'm gonna need one of those dressses. I'll send you my measurements...preferably a peacock print.
    3. I feel like I can hear you talking at certain places in your posts...i enjoy this.
    4. Miss you alreadyyy.
    Love,
    Fairy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont know who Farah is but i second.... everything she says.
    But mostly points number one and two.

    ReplyDelete